I am very pleased to announce dates for our first Ocean Confidence Course of 2016, and this time it’s more powerful than ever! Aimed at kitesurfers, surfers and SUP’ers who want to catch more and better waves, and to surf them with greater power and style, we have teamed up with Newquay Physiotherapy to combine the physical elements of balance, mobility and body maintenance and injury prevention with the classic ocean knowledge we deliver on this course.
Date: 6th-7th February 2016
Cost: £230 per person with room accommodation, £200 per person twin room accommodation. 2 nights, welcome drinks, breakfast, home cooked meal on Saturday eve. If you wish to arrange you own accommodation, you can book onto the course only for £160.
Accommodation Location: Comfortable, quiet town house 5 mins walk or 1 minute drive from Fistral Beach, Newquay
Course Location: Surf Sanctuary at Fistral Beach
About the Ocean Confidence Course
Now in its fourth year, the Ocean Confidence Course is a highly sought after clinic restricted to six people. We have a thorough and detailed structure but it is a fluid course and everyone is encouraged to ask questions and to seek as much extra information as they wish.
We like to run the Ocean Confidence Course in the darker months for a few reasons. Firstly, it gives us the best chance of observing and interacting with the ocean when it is ‘on’. Secondly, the beaches are uncrowded and we can go where we want. Thirdly, it sets you up for the rest of the winter and will keep you charging through spring and summer too.
Don’t let the cold put you off; at the Surf Sanctuary we have warm changing rooms, loads of 5mm wetsuits, spare hoods, gloves and boots should you need it, and in Newquay a hot cup of coffee in a beach cafe is never far away.
On land (and in the warm and dry) clients can look forward to a mix of theory and practical sessions, and we’ll aim to get in the sea each day.
What’s in the Ocean Confidence Course?
Here’s a brief itinerary of what we cover:
1. Surf breaks: how to assess and interact beach, point and reef breaks
2. Planning a downwinder for kitesurfing or stand up paddle
3. How swells are formed and how to really know what the forecast means (star ratings don’t tell the whole story!)
4. How to ‘read’ the surf and choose the best waves, and best parts of the wave for manoeuvres
1. How to improve your balance – in real time. You will leave this weekend with better balance for your surfing!
2. The body mechanics of fundamental surfing moves that apply to kitesurf, surf and SUP
3. The best way to handle kite, surf and sup equipment for maximum efficiency and style on, and between waves
4. How to focus your mind to learn, and execute new techniques whilst under pressure
1. Identifying what type of body you have, and then become the best surfer version of ‘you’ that you can be
2. Kitesurf, surf and SUP specific exercises and drills to keep you strong and fluid when you can’t get in the water
3. Extend your surfing life: learn about the common surf-related injuries and how to avoid and deal with them
4. Understand what the buzzwords like ‘core strength’ and ‘mobility’ really mean to a surfer
Who is this course suitable for?
We have had clients ranging from complete beginner to instructor level on the Ocean Confidence Course. The classroom and workshop stuff is open ended; it is suitable for water users of all abilities and experience. The stuff that we do in the sea is up to you in terms of intensity – no one is expected to do things they are not comfortable with, and those that are experienced with have the opportunity to ride at a level that suits them. As long as you have a fascination with the mental, physical, and environmental factors of playing in the sea, you will probably really enjoy the Ocean Confidence Course.
If you have any concerns regarding the suitability of this course for you, please get in touch.
What do I need to bring?
Winter wetsuit, boots, hood. If you need these items, we can supply you with them at no extra cost
Your wave riding equipment!
We have a large selection of beginner-advanced surfboards, sups, buoyancy aids, helmets etc…so if you feel you are missing something don’t worry
Food, drink, where to meet etc…
When you book onto the course, you will be given the address and directions for the accommodation where we will all meet on Friday evening for a welcome drink and a chance to unwind and ask any last minute questions. Usually, we go out for an affordable but delicious meal or get a delivery – it’ll all be burned off the next day! We will be ready to meet you at the accommodation from 5pm onwards on the Friday.
Breakfast is included on the Saturday and Sunday morning, as is a home-cooked meal on the Saturday evening. Bring some pocket money for lunch and parking.
On Sunday, if you wish to stay another night this can be arranged for a reasonable fee.
A 50% deposit at the time of booking secures your place, with the balance payable by Friday 29th January. Debit card, credit card, PayPal and Bank Transfer are all accepted. Call Dom on 07540 155123, or email firstname.lastname@example.org